9:30 a.m. ET
Temp 66 Degrees
Key Coaching Decision #1: (TEN ball, trailing 20-19 / 2-point conversion attempt / 0:31 Q4 )
• After a Marcus Mariota touchdown pass to Luke Stocker, Tennessee decides to go for the win with a 2-point attempt instead of kicking the extra point and going to overtime. Mariota’s pass falls incomplete, but the Chargers are called for holding, which gives the Titans another opportunity. Mike Vrabel again decides to gamble and attempt the 2-point conversion. Mariota’s pass to Taywan Taylor falls incomplete and once again the Titans are denied. We love the aggressive play calling, but in this situation the smart move was to kick the extra point and send the game to overtime.
• Philip Rivers played a solid game for the Chargers, passing for over 300 yards and connecting on two touchdown passes.
• The loss of RB Melvin Gordon hurt the Los Angeles running game as they were held to only 47 yards on 16 carries.
• Great win for the Chargers, as they head into the bye week with a 5-2 record (with losses to the Rams and Chiefs, who are arguably the best teams in the NFL).
• The Titans controlled the clock, which kept the explosive Chargers offense on the sideline. Tennessee won the time of possession battle by more than 11 minutes and ran over 20 plays more than the Chargers.
• Tennessee running back Dion Lewis had over 150 yards of total offense and seems to be taking over as the lead back for the Titans. He is a shifty runner between the tackles and is a great receiver out of the backfield.