1:00 p.m. ET
25 degrees and cloudy
Key Coaching Decision #1: (BUF ball, leading 14-6/ third-and-3, NYJ 13 / 7:26 Q2)
• The Bills attempt a more unconventional play, as a wide receiver pass from Zay Jones to quarterback Josh Allen fell incomplete in the end zone. At this point in the game, with a touchdown lead and Josh Allen playing well, we question taking the ball out of his hands here.
• On fourth down, the Bills kick a field goal to increase their lead to 17-6. However, had Allen been a threat to run or throw on third down, we think the conversion would have had a greater chance of success.
• After the field goal, the Jets score a touchdown on the next drive to make it a 17-13 game.
Key Coaching Decision #2: (NYJ ball, trailing 23-20/ fourth-and-goal, BUF 1 / 1:17 Q4)
• The Jets face the option of tying the game with a field goal or attempting a fourth-down conversion at the goal line. The Jets “go for it” and score on an Elijah McGuire touchdown run to the put New York ahead for their first and only time in the game.
• McGuire scored by taking a handoff and running to his right before finding a crease to squeeze his way into the end zone. He finished with 60 yards and was playing in place of starter Isaiah Crowell, who left with a shoulder injury in the second quarter.
• The Jets and the Bills are now both 4-9. The Jets ended a six-game losing streak.
• Buffalo blew a 14-3 advantage.
• Special teams units made big plays in the game as the Bills returned five kickoffs for 176 yards while the Jets blocked a 49-yard field goal attempt at the end of the half.
• It was the battle of rookie quarterbacks from California as Josh Allen and Sam Darnold went head-to-head for the first time in their careers.
• Allen gained 101 yards on nine carries on the ground. He also ran for a score. He has run for 90 yards in three straight games. Heading into the last three weeks of the season, the Bills’ running game will likely consist of Allen and whoever can suit up behind him. LeSean McCoy and Chris Ivory both were injured in the game and the Bills had to rely on third-string tailback Marcus Murphy to get them through the game.
• The Jets were without linebacker Darron Lee, as he was suspended earlier in the week for a violation of the substance abuse policy. He will miss the remainder of the season.