By HCR Staff | Sept. 11, 2019
Here at HCR, head coaches get most of the attention because ultimately anything an assistant coach does must go through the head coach. That being said, head coaches can’t be successful on their own. They need great work from assistants — most of whom are not familiar to fans. So we will give credit where credit is due. Here are five assistant coaches who helped their teams in big ways in Week 1.
- Jason Simmons, Packers Secondary – tight, disciplined play in Week 1. The future looks bright for a young unit.
- James Urban, Ravens Quarterbacks – had Lamar Jackson playing at an extremely high level with quick decision-making.
- Jim Turner, Bengals Offensive Line – great effort against a tough and fast Seattle defense playing at home.
- Chase Blackburn, Panthers Special Teams – two blocks of Rams’ pro bowl punter Johnny Hekker.
- Kerry Coombs, Titans Secondary – made life miserable for Browns QB Baker Mayfield.