67 degrees and clear
- Play Calling: Dallas was consistently in 3rd and long throughout the game. The Chargers were aggressive and targeted the Cowboys secondary throughout the game. They had 434 yards in the air on only 81 yards on the ground. Yet they possessed the ball for over 36 minutes. This is how dominant they were in moving the ball downfield via air.
- Personnel Utilization: The Chargers kept going to their playmaker WR Keenan Allen and spread the ball around effectively to other receivers. By contrast, Dallas had a hard time getting the ball to their more dynamic players opting instead to throw to bigger receivers and tight ends.
- Game Plan: The Chargers hit the Cowboys for explosive plays all game. The Cowboys again offered no answer to stop pass rushers from the beginning of the game. This has been a critique since OL Tyron Smith went down due to injury. The Cowboys offensive game plan consisted of frequent pre-snap motion and misdirection.
- In-Game Adjustment: The Chargers were only up 3-0 at the half, but poured it on in the second half. The Chargers never let their foot off the gas pedal. They kept throwing and Dallas could offer no solutions. As the game wore on the Cowboys offense slowed due to the Chargers constant pressure.
- What We Didn’t Like: Chargers 4th down gambles.
- With 13:36 in the second quarter and on 4th and 13 from the Dallas 16 yard line, the Chargers went for a conversion rather than attempt a field goal. They fell short. However, the Chargers did miss three PATs during the game. I can see why they went for a 4th down conversion rather than a long field goal.
- They also went for it in the second quarter (4:58 in the second quarter) on 4th and 1 from the Dallas 39. A pass interference on the Cowboys extended the drive as the pass attempt fell incomplete.
- We also didn’t like the Cowboys going for two in the fourth quarter. The Cowboys scored for the first time in eight quarters with 12:48 left in the fourth quarter to make it a 16-6 game. Dallas went for two in an attempt to make it a two possession game by making it 16-8. Their attempt failed. Had they converted a PAT kick and if the defense had stepped up and stopped the Chargers, a field goal and a touchdown would have put them ahead rather that tied it. It was just too early to attempt this two point conversion.