1:25 PM PST
54 degrees/ Drizzle
Key Coaching Decision #1: (SEA ball, leading/ 7-7 TIED / Fourth – and- 1 TEAM DISTANCE / 11:13 2Q)
• The Rams kicked a field goal at the goal line to go up 10-7. Generally, the Rams are thought of as being more aggressive. Their field goal attempt here was a recognition of the fact that this was going to be a very close game.
Key Coaching Decision #2: (LAR ball/ 31-30 SEA leading / Fourth – and- 2 SEA 10 / 15:00 Q4)
• The Rams attempted a fourth down conversion, down two points. Jared Goff’s pass to Robert Woods fell incomplete. However, a defensive pass interference kept the drive alive. Todd Gurley scored his third touchdown of the game and they took a lead they wouldn’t relinquish.
Key Coaching Decision #3/4: (LAR ball/ LAR leads 33-31 / Fourth – and- 1 LAR 42 / 1:39 Q4)
• The Rams faced a crucial fourth down on their side of the field. Seattle called a timeout to stop the clock down two points. However, this gave the Rams time to re-consider the decision to punt. (They had sent out their punting unit and could not take it back as they were out of timeouts). Instead, the Rams came out with the offensive unit and went for it on fourth down. Jared Goff plunged forward on a quarterback sneak and got the first down and sealed the game for the Rams.
• Both teams were cautious of the return game of the other as they executed free kicks on kickoffs as well as squib kicks.
Los Angeles Rams
• Wide receivers Cooper Kupp and Brandin Cooks were both placed in concussion protocol. Other wide receivers had to step up and replace their production. Robert Woods and Josh Reynolds were impressive and productive.
• Todd Gurley “slumped” against the Seahawks. He finished with just three rushing touchdowns. In 2017, on the road, he had three rushing touchdowns and a receiving touchdown. He needs to step his game up. (Please note sarcasm).
• The Rams wide receivers are explosive when their receivers are tight to the formation and are in “minus splits”.
• Marcus Peters was burned a number of time in this game. Either his injury is more significant than he lets on or he is not concentrating. He gave up two touchdowns on a pass down the middle of the field to Tyler Lockett as well as a pass to David Moore.
• First-round pick, running back Rashaad Penny is falling further behind Mike Davis and Chris Carson on the running back depth chart. He was used primarily as a kick returner in this game.
• Seattle’s commitment to the run game is benefiting their offensive output. For example, Seattle’s use of play action passes froze the Rams defense at times.
• Tedric Thompson started in place of the injured Earl Thomas at safety.
• The emergence of David Moore is big for Seattle. He had two touchdowns on three catches for 38 yards. They are starting to have more offensive players emerge.