4:25 p.m. ET
Key Coaching Decision #1: (PIT ball, trailing 10-0 / fourth-and-1, CIN 46 / 1:08 Q2)
• Ben Roethlisberger finds tight end Xavier Grimble for a 16-yard gain. This was an interesting play call on fourth-and-1. It extended a drive that would allow the Steelers to kick a field goal and get on the scoreboard as time expired at the half. The Steelers used their timeouts wisely to be able to mount this end-of-half drive.
Key Coaching Decision #2: (PIT ball, tied 10-10 / fourth-and-4, CIN 35 / 11:55 Q4)
• Early in the fourth quarter, Ben Roethlisberger finds rookie running back Jaylen Samuels for a 6-yard gain that extends a Steelers’ tiebreaking drive (Steelers kick a field goal at the end of the drive).
• This was Marvin Lewis’ final game as head coach of the Bengals. While he is the winningest coach in franchise history, he exits without having won a playoff game.
• The Steelers were without wide receiver Antonio Brown. He was reported to have had been suffering from a knee injury, but there appears more to the story.
• The AFC’s leading rusher, Joe Mixon, finished with 105 yards on the ground.
• The Steelers finished with a 9-6-1 record, after starting out with what appeared to be a solid 7-2-1 record. Going 2-4 down the stretch isn’t going to get the job done.