- Good offensive game planning by each team to start the game. Each team drove the field and scored a field goal on their first drive.
- San Francisco was forced to burn a timeout at the beginning of 2nd quarter to get properly lined up on a play. Upon breaking the timeout, they ran a zone read option with a running back that has only carried the ball 3 times on the year. The result was a fumbled exchange and loss of 3 yards. Could have been better with game clock management and play calling in this sequence.
- In the 2nd quarter Indianapolis made a nice defensive stand to face a San Francisco punt within their own 10 yard line. Upon receiving the punt, they tried to execute an across the field throwback attempt that was nearly intercepted by San Francisco and then fumbled before being recovered by Indianapolis. This was a risky play call that cost them 13 yards of field position and took away the momentum from a great defensive stand.
- In the 3rd quarter, the Colts executed a nice drive to put them in the red zone. On a 1st & 10 they called a somewhat off-rhythm wild cat play that was fumbled and cost them 8 yards of field position. On the subsequent play Jacoby Brissett was sacked. In this sequence the exotic play call seemed to get them out of a rhythm and ultimately cost them field position. Given how effective the drive was up to that point, it may have made more sense to stick to what had been working instead of looking for a gadget play.
- On the drive described above, Indianapolis was facing a 3rd & 29 and was on the edge of field goal distance. San Francisco lined up in basically a prevent defense with the aim of preventing a first down instead of fighting for field position. Indianapolis ran a screen that picked up nearly all the yards, but most importantly put them in position for a field goal. This was a questionable defensive call from San Francisco because it basically conceded the 3 points instead of fighting for field position and making it a difficult field goal attempt.
- San Francisco was down 9-23 with less than 10 minutes to go in the 4th quarter. They end up scoring on back-to-back drives to send the game into overtime. Really nice job by the 49ers with their 4th quarter offensive adjustments to fight back into the game and give themselves a chance to win.