1:00 p.m. ET
80 degrees/ Breezy and Humid
Key Coaching Decision #1: (TB ball, leading 24-17 / third-and-5, TB 24 / 4:22 Q4)
• Tampa Bay challenged the ruling on the field of an incomplete Jameis Winston pass to Cameron Brate and lost the challenge, costing them their first timeout. They might have needed that timeout later in the game had Carolina been able to tie the contest on the next possession.
Key Coaching Decision #2: (CAR ball, trailing 24-17 / fourth-and-9, TB 48 / 2:25 Q4)
• Panthers QB Cam Newton throws an incomplete pass to wide receiver Devin Funchess and they turn the ball over on downs. Tampa Bay doesn’t do much with this advantageous field position as they are not able to run out the clock and have to punt. Attempting the conversion here was the right decision with the game nearing the end of regulation.
• Carolina is now 6-6 after losing four games in a row. Their downfall appeared to be the Thursday night loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers. Next week, they travel to face the Browns making it their fourth road game in five weeks.
• Carolina running back Christian McCaffrey continues to have a fantastic second season in the NFL. He was again a dual threat, catching nine passes for 55 yards and taking 10 carries for 106 yards.
• Panthers tight end Greg Olsen was injured in the game and he is likely out for the rest of the season, per initial reports.
• Both quarterbacks were active in the ground game. Cam Newton had more designed runs and carried the ball six times for 33 yards while Jameis Winston carried the ball five times for 48 yards.
• The Bucs have now won two games in a row with Jameis Winston as starter. He was 20-of-30 for 249 yards passing and 2 TDs. Winston is also getting more players involved in the offense as wide receivers Chris Godwin and Adam Humphries had significant statistical games. Godwin had five catches for 101 yards while Godwin had seven catches for 61 yards and a score. Part of the explanation is that the Bucs played without DeSean Jackson, who sat out due to injury.
• Tampa Bay safety Andrew Adams intercepted Cam Netwon three times. Newton finished the game with four interceptions.
• The Bucs play the Saints at home next week in a rematch of Week 1. Tampa Bay has played three straight home games.