At Tampa Bay
1:00 PM ET
75 degrees/ Partly Cloudy
Key Coaching Decision #1 and 2: (SF ball, TB leads 7-0/ 2nd–and-8, TB 45/ 10:51 Q2) and (SF ball, TB leads 7-0/ 1st–and-15, TB 18/ 9:16 Q2)
• San Francisco called two timeouts in the second quarter. They later scored their only touchdown of the game on the drive, but they missed the extra point. They were not able to stop the clock at the end of the half to give themselves an opportunity to respond to a Tampa Bay field goal. They might not have been able to because of how quickly Tampa Bay moved the ball down the field, but they certainly didn’t even have the option.
Key Coaching #3 and #4: (SF ball, TB leads 10-6/ 2nd–and-26, SF 15/ 1:51 Q2) and (SF ball, TB leads 10-6/ 3rd-and-30, SF 11/ 0:45 Q2)
• San Francisco’s drive was slowed by penalties and a quarterback sack. Tampa Bay used two timeouts after the two minute warning to give themselves time to mount an end of the half scoring drive. After San Francisco was forced to punt, Tampa Bay took over at their own 41-yard line, with one timeout and 1:37 left on the clock. Tampa Bay kicked a 39-yard field goal to take a seven point advantage at halftime.
Key Coaching Decision #5: (SF ball, TB leads 13-6/ Fourth and Goal, TB 6/ 11:02 Q3)
• The 49ers were penalized (George Kittle false start) on fourth and goal and were backed up to the 6-yard line. They successfully attempted a field goal here rather than attempt a fourth down and touchdown conversion. This was the right call here as the Niners cut the Bucs lead to 13-9 and there was no indication that the 49ers defense was going to be unable to hold up against Tampa Bay after this point in the game.
• San Francisco was coming off a Week 11 BYE. They are 0-2 coming off a bye under Kyle Shanahan. In 2017 and 2018, they played the New York Giants before the BYE. In both years, they have had a Week 11 BYE.
• Jameis Winston started for Tampa Bay and was 29-of-38 on passing attempts, while throwing for 312 yards and two touchdowns. The Buccaneers went after Richard Sherman and Ahkello Witherspoon on deep throws to Mike Evans down the sideline.
• The Bucs’ defense was aggressive and sacked Niners quarterback Nick Mullens four times. They also forced two turnovers.
• The 49ers traveled cross-country and saw a 2017 first-round draft pick linebacker Reuben Foster arrested for domestic violence on Saturday night and cut on Sunday morning. The 49ers reportedly held an uncustomary team meeting on Sunday morning. This 49ers team had distractions entering the game to say the least.
• San Francisco is starting their third–string quarterback. Scoring will be a challenge for them. They were also without injured wide receivers Pierre Garcon and Marquise Goodwin and running back Alfred Morris. To make matters worse, the 49ers secondary lost defensive backs Jimmie Ward and D.J. Reed due to injury during the game.
• Matt Breida ran for over 100 yards in the loss. It was his second straight 100-yard rushing effort.